Monday, January 4, 2010

And so it begins...

I love food. I won't lie, it makes me happy. The more convenient the food, the better. I've always battled being a fat guy, even though losing weight has been easy for me. I just always put the pounds back on. I think apathy has kept me from living a healthy lifestyle. Today I'm drawing the line...it's time to get healthy. Say goodbye to the fat guy...

I've recently learned that no matter how much volunteering one does in the community for whatever non-profit or organization, all that work is overlooked if you're the fat guy. The fat guy is labeled as someone that is unmotivated, lazy and doesn't do anything. Recently, I've been told that I lack motivation for projects and organizations I've been a part of for years. While I know it's not true based on all the hard work and long hours I've put in. All that is overlooked when you're the fat guy. Assumptions are made and perception, no matter how unfortunate/untrue, it is the reality.

So let the battle begin. I know it's not all about caloric intake and exercise. It's also about changing habits and creating a healthy lifestyle. I have to change my attitude. I have to change my perception of food. Food is intended to be fuel for the body instead of a stress reliving mechanism. Changing my lifestyle habits will hopefully change how I'm perceived by others.

What got me where I am are things that can be avoided. I love soda...Coke, Pepsi, Strawberry, Root Beer, Mountain Dew, Dr. Pepper...all of it. All of that sugar does nothing but increase the need for new pants. Going through the drive-thru instead of packing a lunch or cooking for myself. It's a lot easier to buy a value meal than cook. So I'm going to avoid the convenience of the drive-thru and wake up 10-15 minutes early in order to brown-bag it. I've spent the past year with little to no exercise. Sure, I do stuff but not on a regular basis. I get home from a hard-days-rockin' and sit down. That has to change. I need to be active. I don't plan on running a marathon or anything but I'm going to walk about 45 minutes or so every day.

What I will stay away from in 2010:
  • Soda: I will avoid soda...diet and regular. No more soda for 2010.
  • Fast Food: See ya later drive-thru...I'll bring my own lunch from now on.
  • Recliner: I'll relax and wind-down from work after 45-60 minutes of exercise.
New Habits:
  • 3 liters of water a day
  • A salad a day (This will be difficult since I hate the taste of lettuce and salad dressing)
  • 45 minutes of exercise

So, today I'm making some changes. I want to see what happens when I change my attitude. Call it a "New Year's Resolution" if you must. I'm just calling it "Droppin' a Benjamin."

5 comments:

  1. This is exciting! I will make sure both of us avoid the drive-thru on our lunch breaks. It will definitely make a difference. You have my support!

    -Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Travis,
    You are awesome!!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. From one big guy to another...YOU CAN DO IT!!! Man you got me pumped just reading one of your blogs. I want to better too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trav,
    You're awesome regardless, but it's so cool you are doing this and sharing it with everyone. Almost makes me want to join in.........almost. I guess I need more motivation LOL
    -Kim S.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Travis,
    I want in on some of this motivational stuff. Count me in as dropping a Grant. You can do this!

    Jimmy T.

    ReplyDelete